Sunday, April 23, 2017

Abandoning what you don't love

In this current set of 9 weeks I have already finished around 200 pages of The Memory Keepers Daughter by Kim Edwards. This particular novel is a fiction book, but the author illustrates an extremely true and real setting. Although I have no experience with Kim Edwards books, I have enjoyed this mystery/life altering story immensely. In the beginning, a newly wed couple prepares to have a baby, the key word in the previous sentence is "a", meaning singular. When unexpected events turn they end up having twins and the second child is born with down syndrome. Dr. Henry then lies to his wife telling her their daughter died and sends their kid with a nurse to be sent to a special needs facility. "Phoebe, his sister, a secret kept for a quarter or a century"(pg, 400). This quote shows how long all of the bundled up lies lasted all because of one parent unable to cope with a disabled kid. I disagree with how Dr. Henry dealed with his situation  This book while frustrating because of the confusion taking place between a love triangle, is a eye opener for many people. I can relate to this book in terms of people lying to me but not to these standards. Overall I would really recommend picking up this AP title for anyone looking for a book that's impossible to set down.


1 comment:

  1. I'm glad you enjoyed the book! What quote or passage stood out to you most?

    ReplyDelete