Tuesday, September 19, 2017

Look me in the disorder

This first set of three weeks I have challenged myself more then ever before. I decided to increase the amount of content I read and further my book variety. I average aproximatly 15 pages a day so far but as always I hope to continue building up my pages per day. The book Look me in the eye so far has been an extremely well written book that I have greatly enjoyed reading. This endearing book follows the life of an aspergian child throughout his life. Although John Elder, the main character, is extremely smart and fasinating he grows up with many difficulties occurring in his life. "I always seemed right except when it came to school. I was failing almost every class which cause more abuse when I arrived home." (Page 31) This quote stuck out to me for many reasons. To start off, John is an exceptional kid, almost a child prodigy but he does terrible in school. This is because he is only good at things he finds an interest in. Although Johns life at home is horrible he deals with it well. His parents are both crazy and somehow John turned out have a very successful career. "For many years people doubted me and my Aspergers but look where I'm at now" (Page 146) In this passage John talks about how his issues in his early life no longer effect him today. He has become a whole different person and loves himself along with his syndrome. Many people doubt people with mental illnesses and look down upon them. Many feel if you are not "normal" you are less then. This is a major issue our society is facing today. One example shown of this is Demi Lavado, this multiple time Teen choice award winner suffers from bi-polar illness. She has been bullied and judged for her disorder but she is one of the most successful singer/songwriters nationwide. Here is an interview of her opening up about her illness.

Citations - 
extratv. “Demi Lovato Opens Up About Her Bipolar Diagnosis.” YouTube, YouTube, 30 Nov. 2016, www.youtube.com/watch?v=HOR-_VBE0UU.

Robison, John Elder. Look Me in the Eye: My Life with Asperger's. Ebury, 2009.

No comments:

Post a Comment